Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Fun and Games

Today I was introduced to adult services library John Davis, who is starting up a monthly session of popular tabletop role-playing game Dungeons & Dragons for library patrons of all ages. I was interested in speaking to John (and I like to think that he was interested in speaking with me) because I volunteer running a D&D session for the Chatham library's teen game night. Not to mention that we share a fondness for graphic novels and all things geeky.

We had a very enlightening talk today about how we run our respective D&D sessions at our respective libraries. It's interesting to see how much variation exists for a single game: different ages of players, different rule sets, etc. His first session is in about a week and while I can't make that one, I hope to maybe attend the second session so we can bounce more ideas off of one another. We also discussed an upcoming adult programming event centered around game design. I know an inordinate number of friends who are interested in board game design, and I have passed the list of panel members along to them in an attempt to pique their interest. I find myself doing this a good deal these days. DCL's adult and humanities programs touch on such a wide variety of topics that I an always think of at least one person who would find any given discussion of interest. A simple yet effective way to boost library patronage.

No comments:

Post a Comment