Thursday, August 1, 2013

My first taste of archival work

The shifting finally done, I began today on an actual archival project of sorts. Apparently the photos from the NC Collection's online exhibit of Civil Rights in Durham was not treated in perhaps the most professional manner and, as such, each photo has upwards of three identifying numbers. The staff are trying to make it such that each photo has only a single identifier, so I have been compiling a spreadsheet of the images and their possible numbers. It's not the most exciting of work, but it's ultimately going to make the collection more streamlined. Plus it's fascinating to look at the images of protesters and demonstrations from the early sixties. Stuff like that keeps me coming back to archives, even when I'm not sure that it's something I want to do professionally.

As archives go, this one seems to be used on a fairly regular basis. While processing photos, a gentleman came in who was performing some genealogical research for an upcoming family reunion. He had done some extensive work already, and was laden down with folders, photographs, etc. containing family information. He wound up striking up a conversation with a woman at the same table who was browsing old yearbooks, and they spent a good hour discussing his research and family history. I eavesdropped as I worked and was captivated both by his stories and by the way archives can bring people together in this way. I look forward to more experiences such as this one in my last few days here.

No comments:

Post a Comment